8/19/2009

A Pending Epitaph - Paint Me Not

Paint Me Not


Paint me not in shades of brilliant blue and red

Coloring over my misguided lines of glossy black

And smeared greys


Don’t layer me over with sentiment and morality

Forgetting my deformity of thought

And bare deeds


Have the fortitude to lay it out

As I was and am naked and old, withered

And decaying now


My life will be dust soon enough and should not be concealed while it can be revealed.



Note: Inspiration comes when it is ready. I was viewing a photo and a post over at MelodyWatson.com and somehow, my thoughts and feelings lead to the poem above...

9 comments:

  1. Oh Kim, this must surely speak to us all.

    That we live our decay, therein lies an undeniable beauty. No, it is not of brilliant blues and reds. It simply is. Let's embrace it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, I've tried adding you to my google reader and you just don't want to cooperate. And you have no followers list. I suppose I'll just have to check in from time to time. But my purpose of adding you to my reader today was so that I could highlight your poem as one of my favorites. Thought I'd just let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WIW - your words are kind. I've added a button to the side bar for adding to google reader.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim, I'd rather the flaws and imperfections, whether inside or out, the scars and mud, the furrows, rounded belly, bruised flank and all the many, many shades of grey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. S - Most of us would, it seems, but why then do 'we' continue to scream for pictures of us retouched and interpreted with words of imposed grace?

    thank you for your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful!

    You are right. Inspiration comes when it comes. Might be in the middle of the night, and one becomes afraid the thought will be lost, come morning.

    Tanya sent me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi!! Nothing to say just commenting :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the change dropping effect at the top of your page. Reminds me of giving your "two cents worth" on a topic. Netchick sent me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautifully said.

    Kind of reminds me of Oliver Cromwell instructing his portrait artist to paint him "warts and all."

    ReplyDelete

Whew! For a moment I thought you were leaving without commenting. Thanks!